Thursday, July 29, 2010

Review: Kawaii Baby Minky One Size Pocket - CHEAP DIAPERING SOLUTION!!!


*** I want to start this off by pointing out that there are several styles of Kawaii Pocket diapers. Not all are minky.  Most are PUL.  All are OS, except for the Pure & Natural Pocket which goes from 0-15 months.  Some of a PUL barrier at the top.  Some of the minky have bamboo.  And all have different pricing.  The PUL are cheaper than the minky, and if you google them they can be found in bulk packages even cheaper.  I am linking to the site I purchased my diapers from.  I only tried the minky so that is what I am reviewing here.
If you click on the Title of this post it will take you to the Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique page with all of the Kawaii's listed.


Kawaii Baby Minky One Size Pocket - $10.95
Materials:  The outer material is layers of soft minky fabric which is waterproof and breathable.  The closure is available in snaps or velcro depending on the diaper pattern.  The inside is microfleece and it came with 2 microfiber inserts.
Fit:  8 - 44 lbs.
How it works:  Kawaii Minkys are a One Size (OS) pocket diapering system.  The absorbent inserts are placed in the pocket and can be adjusted for your absorption needs.  Snaps the front of the diaper allow the diaper to adjust in the rise for a baby as they grow.  The closure on this diaper is available in either snaps or velcro.
Thoughts from Amanda:
Aesthetics -  The minky diapers are certainly cute.  No doubt about that.  The selection of patterns is limited, but there's something for everyone which is great.  At times it is frustrating that a certain pattern is only available in Velcro or Snaps but not both.  This is the exception though.  And really...I like both types of closures so it was a non-issue for me personally.  Since the prints are really cute I wish the snap rise and closures would match in color.  Also this diaper is really soft.  I mean ridiculously soft to the touch on the outside.  Love that!
Functionality -  This diaper works just as well as any more expensive diaper out there on the market.  The minky is soft, washes well, and is breathable for sure.  It NEVER leaked.  (That was something I was worried about since it didn't have PUL in it at all.)  

I have one major qualm with this diaper, and I seem to be the only person who has noticed this issue or experienced it.  I bought two minky diapers, different prints, but the same style of diaper.  But the rises on each diaper were different.  One was significantly higher than the other. I always had to use one diaper fully unsnapped in the rise, and the other snapped down one setting.  I thought that was odd.  

I also found the waist on the Minky diaper to run smaller than some other popular diapers, so if you have a child with a larger waist I might try a different style of Kawaii.
Durability -  This diaper held up well to many washings.  The minky never looked worn or matted.  It didn't pill on the outside or look "odd" in any way!  I was very impressed by that.  I cannot comment on the Velcro closure as I did not use them.

Availability -  As with most "cheap" diapers this one has limited availability.  I liked that I could buy them in singles at Sweetbottoms Baby Boutique.  The main Kawaii site (http://www.theluvyourbaby.com) sells them mostly in bulk from what I know, and their website can be slow to load.  So, you'll have to do some poking around to find these, but if you're wanting to save some money then it would be worth your time.

1 comment:

  1. This article was great in suggesting new brands and
    styles to try out.
    , I thought this article was suppose
    to help those of us who have never used diapers,
    Thank you so much for this comprehensive list!
    I have read many reviews and done a ton of research
    . This has helped me make decisions
    on diapers.I am completely happy with your website
    . All comments and articles
    are very useful and very good. Your blog is very
    careful-take control.
    I am loving all of the inside ,

    ReplyDelete