Thursday, April 29, 2010

Trials of a Dum Dum: Overnight Success!!!

Wow...it's been a while since I've talked about nighttime diapering, huh?  I never really could get it out of my head.  We did continue using disposable diapers for quite a while while I mulled over what to do.  None of the special "nighttime" diapers worked for us that we had tried, and I was tired of spending money on things that were failures.  I don't mind spending money on things that work but I'm not a big fan of in the long run, but not on things that fail from the get go.

Fast forward a bit and I decided that hemp was the way to go.  I ordered two BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz in large.  They have 6 layers of hemp in them.  Now hemp is a great fabric.  It absorbs a lot, but it is slow to absorb which means it's best if you pair it with something else on top for quick absorption.  Enter the recipe:

Overnight Diapering a Tummy Sleeping Super Soaker (Toddler)


1 bumGenius 3.0 OS ($17.95)
1 Prefold trimmed (or purchased this size) to fit in a pocket diaper (about $2.00 a piece)
1 BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz (Large) - FULLY PREPPED! ($4.99)


Take the prefold and trifold it.  Place this on top of a BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz insert (we used Large because our son is on the highest rise).  Take prefold/hemp combo and place this in a bumGenius 3.0 OS pocket diaper.  Make sure that the prefold is flat and touches the sides of the diaper.  I do this by sticking my hand down the center of the trifold and fanning my fingers apart.  The bumGenius diaper is key because it has the compression leakage barrier of PUL at the top front of the diaper.  That is VERY important.  


Place diaper on baby.  Put on pajamas and continue with nighttime routine.


We have not had a leak since starting this.  It is important to note that the hemp insert must be fully prepped before this will work for a true super soaker.  We're talking at least 10-12 washes folks.  But, it's so worth it.  No more overnight sposies for us!  :)

My future concern is that the bumGenius runs small compared to other OS diapers, so how long will this work for us?  Tonight I'm going to try a microfiber insert on top of the Babykicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz to see how that works for us.  That may make the diaper less bulky and therefore allow it to last us longer in the rise.  You could try this with Nubunz (a bumGenius copy) but there were a few things about that diaper that I wasn't a big fan of, but that's for a future review.

Why the Babykicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz?  Well, I liked that it was all one piece.  I found one other hemp insert that was 7 layers I believe, but it was two pieces meaning one area of the diaper would be even bulkier.  This was 6 layers and all one piece, and very very thin.  That was the best deal I could find without making one myself, and even then with ordering materials that would have been more expensive to do.  So the Babykicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz is a winner in my book.  And if you use two that would be 12 layers of hemp!

So, happy overnight diapering everyone!  :)  Do you have a different solution that works for you?  Leave us a comment and let us know.  We want everyone to have lots of ideas and methods to try from.  :)

-Amanda-

No comments:

Post a Comment